Friday 7 December 2012

Magazine advert 2



Introduction-
·       Do you think your magazine is conventional to your genre? Consider the colours/connotation, images, layout etc
·       Do you think your target audience will be able to build a relationship with your artist?
 Evaluate-
·       What choices and decisions did you make and why?
·       Are your choices and decisions conventional to your music genre and why?
·       What could you change and why?

     Whilst creating my second magazine draft, I aimed to convey the codes and conventions of the dance genre, so that it will appeal to my tagret audience and portray the type of music my artist makes. I have an image of a woman in minimal clothing, in a dance pose so this fits in well to the stereotypes of clothing for women in the dance genre. I have kept the woman in the bottom left hand corner as she is not the artist so she should not be the focus of the magazine advert, although as she conveys the dance genre well I have enlargened the size of the picture and added a distorted affect. Similarly to my first draft I have used the same four bright colours on this magazine advert, which are pink, blue, green and yellow. I have decided to keep using these colours as they are very bright and eye catching, as well as this they convey the bright lights in a club, so it fits in well with the dance genre. I have used bright coloured circles for the background affect as they portray strobe lights which goes well with the dance genre. I have used the bank gothic font for my writing as I think it is a straight shaped font and appeals to both female and males and it fits in well with the dance genre. I have chosen to use different colours for the information about the album because it makes it more attractive, also the title of the album is in one colour and the number one hit my artist has had is in green, whereas the rest of the writing is in white as it is not key information. I have put the title of my artist at the top of the page towards the left hand corner, as people usually read from the top left hand side, so as it is the most important subject of the magazine advert I thought it would stand out there and it will be the first thing most people look at straight away if they look at the advert. I have made the image of the woman quite large but in the bottom left hand corner as she is not the artist but she could be conveyed as a mascot for this album so it is important she is on there but that she is not the focus. I have put the image of the ministry of sound logo at the bottom right hand corner as it is the record label my artist is signed to but it is not key information for my target audience.


      As I have chosen to make my music video dominantly concept based, I will not be showing my artist, so the artist will not be on my digipak or magazine cover either. Although my artist will not make an appearance I think my audience will build a relationship with the characters in the music video and the dancing woman on the front of my magazine cover. As there are various characters which portray different personas I think my audience will be able to relate to more than one of the characters. For example two entirely different characters would be the kind man who gives the homeless man a burger and the thief who mugs an innocent girl walking down the street. Also other characters in this video are the people dancing in the club, which I think it the most relatable scene for my target audience.


      I used a woman for the image on my magazine advert as I think she will appeal more to both sex's rather than having a man in a dance postition. Also when planning to take this photo of the girl I asked my friend to dress in short shorts and a black crop top, as women in dance videos are usually presented in minimal clothing and have big hair, therefore I the image would be abiding the codes and conventions of dance. As I thought the background of my first magazine draft was too plain I have put in brightly colour circles but so that they fill up the page and so it doesn't look as plain. I have kept the typography for the name of my artist in top left hand side of the page which is the same as my previous magazine advert because it is the dominant product the magazine is conveying.

      Having looked at my second magazine draft I would change the effect I have used on the image of the girl because it doesn't convey the dance genre as much as i would like it too, so I think next time I would use the blur effect to make it seem like the girl is moving fast along to a dance song. I would keep the same font but the blue doesn't stand out enough from the black background so I would change the colour and add a glow effect as it is the name of the artist I want it to stand out the most. I also think I would add a different pattern on the background or I would add more coloured circles but sticking within my colour scheme.

     Having looked at both of my magazine adverts I will submit into final group magazne is my first magazine advert as I prefer the overall layout for example the bright colours at the top which convey the lights in a club, I feel that it conveys the dance genre better than my second magazine advert. Furthermore I think that the colour scheme in my first magazine advert fits better into the dance conventions and is clear and neat, with the main colours being blue, white and pink. Although I will discuss with my group my best magazine advert and theirs and then decide which one is our final.
     



2 comments:

  1. You have made a good start in analysing your two magazine adverts. You have considered the purpose of the codes and conventions well and you have considered the choice of colours too.

    To show further understanding you need to explain your reasons of your choice of design and layouts too. Finally explain which advert you will submit and why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two magazine adverts that you have created demonstrates good evaluation skills and this is because you have considered the choices and decisions that you have made to your product. You have also considered the conventions of dance well too.

    ReplyDelete