Tuesday 27 November 2012

Digipak Reflection 1


[[[[[Introduction-
·       Do you think your digipak is conventional to your genre? Consider the colours/connotation, images, layout etc
·       Do you think your target audience will be able to build a relationship with your artist?
Evaluate-
Evaluate each of your slides by commenting on the following:
·       What choices and decisions did you make and why?
·       Are your choices and decisions conventional to your music genre and why?
·       What could you change and why?
Reflection-
·       How will this draft assist you with creating your second?]]]]]]

    When designing my digipak I had the dance genre in mind, therefore the colours and patterns used in my digipack drafts are bright and bold. Photoshop was a great programme to use for creating my digipak as it allowed me to edit pictures in hundreds of ways and it allowed me to make the precise effect I aimed for on each cover. For my first digipak draft I used a black background for each slide as it conveys a club atmosphere as its all dark, but I have added bright colours to represent the strobe lights. On each of my covers I have tried to stick to the strobe light theme as they are commonly used in parties, clubs and concerts, so to do this I have used bright colours on each cover. I have used images from google of silhouettes of people in dance positions, which clearly represents the dance genre of the album. On one of the covers I have made 5 silhouettes of people in dance positions, all in different colours. I have then used their matching colour to draw lines from them using the paint brush tool, which creates a strobe light effect. 


    The target audience for my artist is 15-23 which are the main listeners of dance music and are at the age where they would be going out to party's and clubs, so having connotations of a club atmosphere on my digipak will allow my audience to relate to it. Also bright colours connote the outgoing personalities of teenagers/young adults.

 

     Title page

   This is the front of my digipak. I didn't add the artists name because I wanted to keep a simple but bold look and felt that with this design idea I created, putting on anymore writing would ruin it. I decided to have a black background so that all of the bright colours and the title would stand out, also the black background portrays the dark atmosphere of a club, so this relates well to the dance genre and to my target audience. I used the paint brush tool to create the different lines of colours. I have chosen these four particular colours as they are bright and bold and represent the dance genre well but also because each colour has a different representation. For example yellow represents happiness, which I believe the listeners will be once they hear the album. The bright pink and electric blue represent the female and male sex. Finally I chose the colour green as it represents nature, which relates to the main song and title of the album which is 'save the world'. With the use of all of these bright colours I feel that if this album was in a shop it would attract my target audience straight away because of the bright colours, it appeals to a young audience. The typography used on the front was edited with a chrome affect, so it conveys a modern and rich feel, I thought this would make a good contrast to the bright colours as it still stands out well and appeals to both genders equally.
      In my second digipak draft I will add in the name of the artist as people will not know who the album artist is by just looking at the front of the pack. Also I will change the colour of the writing because although it stands out against the bright colours, it does not stick to the dance conventions   




    This is the back cover of my digipak, which has the song titles and copyright information on. I have put
     a picture of the world in the center of the page as it is the main image, also I wanted it to link in with the album title
     'save the world'. This relates to dance as there are many different forms of dance all around the world and dance is a way of bringing different cultures together. I have made the typography black with a yellow outer glow as it conveys the sun, as the earth circles the sun, also it is
      a nice bright colour which stands out against the dark background. The background on this cover is not fully black, it has a gradient of grey to black, I decided to do this because it makes it slightly
      different to the rest of
      the background covers and the white colour against the black in the top right hand corner represents a ray of light or hope coming through the darkness. I have
      added a bar code which, the ministry of sound logo as that is a record label which signs dance artists. Also I have added copyright information onto the bottom of the cover. In my next draft I will change the background because I don't think it conveys the dance genre that well, also I will change the typography because although it is a bright yellow it doesn't stand out that much and some of it for example 'save the world' is hard to read. 




This is one of my inside covers, I have used bright bold colours that stand out and convey the dance genre. I have made the background black so that the club atmosphere is conveyed throughout the digipak covers. I have taken silhouettes of people dancing and filled them each with a bold colour and then sticking to their correct colour scheme I have drawn lines, which convey strobe lights, coming away from their body. I think this gives off a great affect and conveys the dance genre well. Although on my next digipak I will try to use an image that I have taken myself. 

  This is another cover for this inside of my digipak. I have stuck to the theme of the strobe light affects, by using five different colours and making straight lines from the center point of the cover outwards. I wanted to convey a party/clubbing/concert look on this cover, so I cut 
     out an image of people in a crowd and filled it black. 
      By doing this the image blends in with the black background and looks as if the camera shot was taken just over the top of the crowd. In the image there are people with their hands in the air which creates more
    of a partying image. Also because the crowd is facing towards the light it suggests that it could be a concert as everyone is looking in the same direction. To make the cover more interesting I have added a red glow effect 
      on the background behind the bright lights, this creates
      a dance scene. 





   This is my welcome/thank you page, which has a black background. I have used the paint brush tool to 
   create a flashing light effect at the top of the page and I used the blur tool to make it less bright as every 
    other cover has bright colours I wanted a contrast. 
    The typography on the cover is in 'bank gothic' because it conveys the dance genre well as it looks quite techno, which links in with dance. I choose to make the writting silver because it matches the other writing throughout this digipak, it stands out nicely and represents energy. 



 

This is my CD cover page. I decided to leave the back cover white so that it is a contrast to the black background on all the other sides. On the physical copy of the CD I have used the colour tool to make it pink, blue and yellow, which fits in well to the bright lights colour theme. I have put the title of the album logo on the CD 'save the world', also it will inform the audience which CD they are listening to. I have used a primary source picture of my friend on the CD cover to convey the dance genre. This image of the woman conveys the dance genre as she is wearing short shorts and a black crop top, which goes with the stereotypical minimal clothing that woman usually wear in dance music videos. Furthermore she is standing in a dance pose, and I have added a blur effect to create a feeling that she is moving. If I had to change something about this CD cover side I would add more effects on the back page and on the CD I would have a darker background so that the 'save the world' logo stands out more. But I would still keep the image of the woman as she conveys the dance genre very well and appeals to my target audience.  






      Overall I think that by creating this first draft I will improve on my second draft by bringing across more conventions on the dance genre, by getting a primary image of a girl dancing. on my second draft I will still stick to one main theme which will probably be bright colours on each cover page.

1 comment:

  1. You have made a good start in explaining some of the choices and decisions that you made to your digipak. You have analysed the slides well and have considered the conventions of dance well too.

    However you are missing slide 2, which is the CD section and only 2 images are needed instead of 3

    Now you need to include your second draft

    ReplyDelete