Sunday 11 November 2012

Pie Charts


This first question is 'Are you male or female?' and we made sure we asked an equal amount of males and females so that the test would not be more feminine answers or masculine answers.

The second question I asked was 'What is your favourite genre of music?' and dance was one of the answers which received a high percentage of 27%. This shows that dance is a popular genre especially compared to hip hop which only received 3% of votes. As this question proves that dance is a popular genre it helped me chose to do a dance track for my music video. 

The third question I asked was an open question of what there favourite music video is. All of the answers we received came under the dance and pop genre which is good as we only asked 14-24 year olds as they are our target audience, so knowing that they like dance music is good as our dance music video can appeal to them.

The fourth question we asked was which song do they prefer out of the six following choices, Swedish House Mafia received the third highest votes as Neyo ft Calvin Harris-Lets go and David Guetta-Titanium received 2% more votes. This shows that Swedish House Mafia are still very popular within dance music, but the song choice was 'Don't Your Worry Child' which I have decided not to use in my music video as it didn't receive the highest amount of votes.

The fifth question was a closed question on whether they prefer narrative, performance or concept based music videos. I found that 'concept' based videos were the most popular with 50% of votes, then narrative based came second with 32% of the votes and performance based came last with 18% of the votes. So after reading these results I have decided to mainly make a  concept and narrative based music video, as they are the most popular but I will show some performance in the video as it is the dance genre. 

The seventh question I asked was which music channel is there favourite out of a list of six options. MTV Dance received the most votes and got 36% showing that dance is the most popular genre and obviously the audience we asked enjoy watching dance music videos the most. Scuzz received the lowest results with only 2% of the votes, I think this shows rock and heavy metal have a niche audience especially compared to dance which is very mainstream. 

The eighth question was whether the audience like strong editing effects, the feedback we received suprised me as I thought the majority of people would like strong editing effects but I found out that 56% of audience do not like strong editing effects and 44% do like strong editing effects. As there is only a 12% difference, whilst editing my music video I will use a medium amount of editing effects to try and appeal to as many people as possible.

The ninth question I asked was which location they think is best for shooting a dance music video, the most popular answer was in the street which received 32% of votes, I can see why this is the most popular answer as dance and hip hop originally began on the streets of America in 1970 and developed the name of street dance which is now very popular. The location which received the lowest amount of votes was a house with only 14% of votes. Taking this into consideration I have chosen to film my music video in the streets of London which is a city and a city received 18% of votes and a club as that is where everyone goes to dance, so it relates to the dance genre perfectly. Although 'house' received the lowest votes I will be filming some of the music video in a house as it is part of the story line. 

The final question I asked was a closed question which was to see whether the audience think it is important to see the artist in the music video or not. There is only 4% between the two answers but the majority of the audience think it is important to see the artist, whereas 48% of the audience disagree. I have decided not to show the artist in my music video as the only performance based parts will show people dancing. As the song is called 'save the world' it has a deep message and I want to convey that as well as possible without showing the artist at all. 




To conclude, creating a questionnaire and designing a pie chart to sum up the results has enabled me to make final decisions for my music video based on what my target demographic like and what will interest them. It was very useful to do this as I now have an idea which location to use, whether the video should be performance, narrative or concept based, which song to pick and many more. Also making decisions based on what my target audience like will allow me to produce a music video that will appeal to them but still stick to the codes and conventions of the dance genre.

2 comments:

  1. The pie charts that you have included above, shows a good understanding of the primary research that you carried out.

    Aim to include a summary to explain how you will use this information to plan your music video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Within your summary you have started to consider your style of music genre, but more focus is needed on your music video as a whole and how your research will inform your planning.

    ReplyDelete