Thursday 29 November 2012

Planning the Location

Location

In my music video I have decided to use more than one location to shot my video. The first location I have chosen is a quiet street near Liverpool street station in London, in which the storyline about the tramp will take place. I felt that this would be a good location for shooting part of my music video as the setting links in well with the tramp because that represents the stereotypical day to day life of a homeless person, also Liverpool Street is always packed with people passing by and is very diverse in a cultural sense. So I think using this location will appeal to my target audience and they will be able to sympathise for the tramp. This location will relate to the target audience because in the questionnaire I asked which location is best to film a music video and on the streets received a high percentage of votes. This location reflects my chosen song well because the title is 'save the world' and as I am filming one of the main storylines there it will show the tramp wondering around the streets searching for food and then a man will come along and give the tramp a buger. So this scene mainly conveys a sense of giving and kindness, which all helps towards making the world a better place. Also when editing this scene I have planned to have certain lyrics playing which will match the visuals, so the audience have a better understanding of the message of this song.

The second location I have decided to use is a street and house in Woodford as it is local for me to film at, also it is convenient as the house I will be filming inside has a good layout for some over the shoulder shots of the antagonist to look up to the protagonists bedroom window. This scene doesn't reflect my artist in any way but the artist is not being shown in the video, so it won't affect it. Having this location is key to my video as it will show one of the two main story lines and the house will signify part of the song. For example whilst the protagonist is inside getting ready, listening to music, the antagonist will be outside watching and getting ready to mug the protagonist. So when the mugging takes place it will convey that the outside world on the street is reality where bad things do happen, and being inside conveys comfort and safety. Along with this, when I edit the filming I will make sure to match the music with the visuals for example I am planning to have an extreme close up of the protagonists hand turning up the volume on a radio, which will be shown whilst the lyrics 'turn up the love now' are playing in the song. The actors in these scene are 16-17 which comes under the target audience's age, so I think they will relate well to it, especially as it shows a girl getting ready to go out late at night, which my target audience presumably also do.

The third location I have decided to film in is a club. This will reflect my artists music genre well as usually in clubs they play dance music and as the song 'Save the world' comes under dance/house it is likely to be played in a club. I aim to edit the filming so that the chorus in which has the thickest texture of the song will be played when the clubbing scenes are shown. Using a club as one of the locations will convey the dance genre perfectly, with all of the flashing lights and crowd of people. As well as that it will also relate to my target audience well because they are at the age where they are likely to go out to parties or clubs. Overall it makes the video more light hearted as the other two locations are where serious actions take place, in the club scenes it shows fun and enjoyment in life.

Action

The main action that will happen with the scene set in Liverpool Street will be a tracking shot of the tramp walking through the town, passing by rushing people with busy lifes, which is totally opposite to his as he has nowhere to go and nothing to do. Once the tramp has sat back on the floor, there will be a shot of him looking through empty burger wrappers so he sits back on the floor, and along will come a thoughtful man will walk past and kindly give him a burger.

In the second location, down a street in Woodford there is quite a bit of action. As this is the other narrative, the filming we will show is the protagonist getting ready in her house, and going outside. I will use a long shot to show her walking down the road when the antagonist is about to mug her, run away with her phone and purse but then get run over by a car. As we cant physically run the antagonist over I will use close up shots of his face expression and a mid shot of the car coming towards him, so it appears that he has been run over.

In the third location, which is a club. The action taking place will be the crowd of people dancing, with their hands up in the air. As there is not much action in this scene other than dancing I will use a range of shots to make it more interesting once I edit it and to fully capture the partying atmosphere.

Limitations

For my first location which is Liverpool Street, I will only be able to film from 4pm onwards as it becomes dark from then and  I need low key lighting for filming. Another aspect which limits my filming time is that the actors that I need, are only available on two days after school a week so I have had to rescedule my own work to be able to get the footage I need for this music video. Luckily the actor and actress I am using in the mugging scene are available on the weekends so I will be able to film then, also because I am filming it in Woodford it is local for me to go to. Although the same factor that limits my filming time is that because I want to use low key lighting I will only be able to film from 4pm onwards. The club scene may be an issue as we didn't ask the people whether we could film them.

Health and safety risks

The health and safety risks I will have to run through during the filming of the first location is whether the actors will be able to get to Liverpool street without any problems. Also I as the actor of the tramp has to eat a burger I will have to check that he is not allergic to the food he is given and I will have to check if he is allowed to it eat it as there could be religious reasons or morals to whether he can't. I will also have to check that the area isn't too rough and I will have to watch the time when filming as I do not want the actors to get ill because of the cold weather, this also applies for the actor and actress in the mugging scenario. During the filming in all three locations there may be people that pass by in the background, more so when filming at Liverpool Street, if this is the case I will not be able to get everyones authority to be in my video but as they are not the main subject I don't believe it will matter that much.

Weather

At the first location which is Liverpool Street, weather could affect the filming a lot because it all has to be filmed outside if it is snowing, raining or very heavy winds I will have to put of filming for another day. If on the day I have organised to film it is raining or there is bad weather that will stop me filming, I have arranged other days for it to take place, which will enable me to get the scene filmed.
In the second location, which is a house and street in woodford, the weather will not affect the filming of the protagonist indoors but when I film the outside part the weather have a massive effect on filming. For example if it is raining, snowing or there is heavy winds or fog i will not be able to film, because firstly the weather will ruin the camera also is its foggy and I try to film a long shot, the object in the long shot will not be seen, so it will not work. Similarly to the first location as they are both outside, I have arranged specific days for filming so that if on the first day it is raining and I cannot film, it will have to be held until the next day planned.
Thankfully as the third location is in a club, the weather will not affect the filming at all.






1 comment:

  1. You have made a good start in explaining the different locations that you wish to include within your music video. You have also considered your music genre well too and the representation that you will be portraying.

    Finally aim to include still images from your music video to support the points that you are making.

    ReplyDelete